#39 - Tech Cool Down

Motto: The word "Sasquatch" is somewhere in this sentence, see if you can find it!


I have written a lot about consumer technology lately. This isn't a blog about consumer technology. If you haven't surmised this yet, this isn't a blog about anything at all, really. I just write what I've thought about. To be fair, there is a disproportionate amount of consumer tech running around my thoughts in general. Even right now, as I write this, I have three different reviews for the Nexus 4 open in other tabs. The reviews are generally pretty positive, but contradict each other at places (battery life is bad/good, screen is excellent/just okay). Regardless, I'm getting one as soon as physically possible. I can't wait to make my own photo spheres.

One last thing about Android before I move on: I had one of those mind-blowing moments the other day. Briefly overwhelmed by the sheer awesomeness of the technology that I was seeing. I plugged my USB adapter into my Nexus 7. On the other end, I plugged a PlayStation 3 controller. I didn't expect anything to happen. The controller lit up. "The tablet is charging it, cool" I thought. I absent-mindedly picked up the controller and pressed a button. The controller worked. The controller, designed by Sony exclusively for its PlayStation, was recognized and correctly interpreted by my $200 tablet. 10 minutes later, I downloaded Nintendo 64 and Super Nintendo emulators and played video games on my tablet that I hadn't played in years. It was amazing. Google avoids proprietary technology when it can, from what I can see. Android uses the Micro USB charger and NFC simple data sharing standards. Soon it will use the Miracast and Qi wireless charging standards. Compared to a "lightning connector" - it is so much more nerd-zen. I love it.

I'm going to say something controversial right now: I like Kristen Stewart. I think the character she plays in Twilight is a flat, entirely unlikable character. She is just staying true to the material. She might pull that "exasperated I don't know what's going on but I'm stressed" stuff in every movie she's in, but she's hardly the only person in film to do that. Hugh Grant is charmingly befuddled. Clint Eastwood is too cool to open his eyes. Michael Cera (I don't even have to specify an example, he is the same in everything he does).

Plus I think she's an attractive woman, so that helps.

My sister got married this past weekend. I am officially the only Gillespie child still bearing the family name. Traitors. It's up to me to carry it on. Saying that makes me feel way more like a super hero than any mature adult should feel. I guess I'm just not one of those yet. Either way, I'm going to be married at some point in my life, and that's still a strange and foreign concept to me. The first time I heard someone I've always considered a peer say "My wife", it left a weird impression on me. Am I that old?

My computer is on its last legs. I'm glad I'm making money now.

Pictures relevant to this post:

Photo Sphere taken with the Nexus 4 - found here - you should open that and click into it. Look around.
I think it's the hair... and the eyes... and the face... 
A handy guide to Michael Cera's roles in cinema. Credit here.

Top 5: Keyboard shortcuts I use, by frequency
5. Windows Key+L (at work)
4. Ctrl+X
3. Ctrl+C
2. Ctrl+V
1. Alt+Tab

Quote:
"I heard 'Scream' by User followed by 'torn' by Natalie Imbruglia. It was like a before and after of the same night"
    - Ben Ashworth, politically correct as usual -

"quote"
    - quoter -

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#258 - Feature: Notetaking Platform Anxiety

#76 - Fitness. Life Tracking System. Video.

#42 - Life, The Universe, and Everything