#149 - Today's Writing Exercise

Motto: Seriously.


I'm sorry if my "write every day" goal has given you guys too much to read. I'm trying to keep each Column pretty focused, to keep from the fatigue that comes when somebody drones on.

I hate it when people drone on about meaningless crap; and you're like "aggh! get to the point already!".

Drone:
noun
(1) A low, continuous humming sound.
(2) A person who does no useful work and lives off others
(3) A remote-controlled pilotless aircraft or missile
(4) Male bee in a colony of social bees, which does no work but can fertilize the queen
(5) To speak tediously in a dull and monotonous tone

It's interesting how words can come to mean different things. What does a mating bee have to do with a pilotless missile? Or a continuous humming sound, for that matter? We reuse words in some of the strangest ways.

Iron = chemical element #26
Iron = to smooth out
Iron = golf club falling between the woods and putter

Homonyms are dumb. Why can't we just make up new words for two of those three definitions?

From now on:

Chemical element #26 = "Iron"
To smooth out = "Chuv"
Golf club = "Dongley"

That will make the sentence "I used my 9 dongley to chuv a situation with my iron-fisted bookkeeper" much easier to understand.

This column was posted to allieviate the stretch of "meaningful", "for-purpose", or "serious" posts. Just to solidify this post's lack of seriousness, here's the picture to go out on:



Now that I've used my Chromebook for purpose, instead of just using it to try to get to know it, I've gotten to know it much better. See the Top 5.


Top 5: Additional Thoughts about Working on a Chromebook
5. I haven't yet run into a situation where I've said "oh man, I need my actual computer to do this." It helps that I already pretty much live in the browser and in the cloud.
4. I use the "home" and "end" keys a lot more than I expected I would. The Chromebook has no such keys. It will take a while to get used to Ctrl+Alt+Up/Down.
3. It looks nice. It feels nice. I got my second Chromebook in the mail for comparison, I'm sending it back immediately. The Toshiba Chromebook is worth the extra $80. Using it doesn't feel like a compromise.
2. Three finger swipe from left to right to scroll between open tabs in the Chrome browser. This allows you to seamlessly switch back and forth between two things way easier than the Ctrl+Tab key combo. Did you know you can hit Ctrl+Tab to switch between tabs in Chrome? Try it. Ctrl+Shift+Tab lets you go backwards. It's much easier to do the 3 finger swipe, though.
1. Window arrangement is done intelligently. For example: if you're working on two things side-by-side, you can click the line between them to resize both of them simultaneously.


Quote:
“Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo”
- An example of reusing words gone overboard. This is a grammatically correct sentence that means "Buffalo (New York) bison that other Buffalo bison bully, themselves bully Buffalo bison". See here for more information. -

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#258 - Feature: Notetaking Platform Anxiety

#22 - It's my party and I'll cry to get attention.

#42 - Life, The Universe, and Everything