#165 - Multimedia Solution

Motto: I Just Want to Play What I Have on What I Have


There was a time when your movie collection and your music collection were both stored on magnetic strips inside of little tape cartridges.Then, sometime in the late 90's/early 2000's people started transitioning their music collection over to some weird circular mirror discs with finger-sized holes in the middle of them. A few years later, your movie collection started to make that transition too. Right around the same time that you started keeping your movie collection on weird circular mirror discs, you started transitioning your music collection to digital "MP3" files. These weren't physical objects at all. Your entire music collection could then be stored on one computer instead of in a bunch of racks & shelves. Then, the movies never really followed. What gives? Why don't all of my DVDs get stored at Mom & Dad's place in the basement with my CDs? Why are the DVDs so special? It's safe to say that we, as a society, have largely transitioned away from the physical medium when it comes to purchasing, storing, and playing music. Why have movies lagged behind in this transition? - I actually have a pretty decent, but long-winded theory as to why this happened the way it did, but I'll save my breath. The thesis is this: I want to buy, store, and play my movies the same way I do my music... and I can. Google Play has movies. So does iTunes... but those movies are locked into the ecosystem. You can't really download the file and take it with you where you go. You can't open up a folder on your computer called "movies" and start watching. Your library is just a library of links into their library. They control the actual content and how and where you can view it. I don't like that. I want to have a NAS (Network Attached Storage) device full of all of my music, movies, pictures, whatever. I want a true library. One where I can see the files. And I want to be able to access those files from my television, computer, and phone. Figuring that out is going to be one of the first projects I tackle after the wedding. On a kinda-sorta-if-you-think-about-it related note: I want an authentic Captain America shield. A heavy, colorful, circular, convex, ridid shield that may or may not be made from Wakandan Vibranium. Or perhaps a Mjolnir of my own - an engraved stone hammer that may or may not be forged in the heart of a dying star. Is that too much to ask? I'd be willing to settle for a stainless steel shield and hammer. I'm a perfectly reasonable guy. I just want a pair of ridiculous weapons because I saw some really buff superheroes throw them around in some movies and I'm pretty sure the only thing keeping me from being just like them is the proper equipment. Anybody know anyone with the proper equipment and knowhow to blacksmith such objects? If so, tell them I will pay them in gold coins* to produce for me said objects. *Filled with chocolate.

This one one of those posts that I don't have a great picture for. So here's a random one I saved for just this type of occasion.


I have no idea about the context of that GIF.

Top 5: Burrito Places
5. TACO BELL
4. Jose Peppers
3. Chuy's
2. Freebirds World Burrito
1. Chipotle


Quote:
“Bride to Be”
- Melissa's sash. She's doing her bachelorette thing. -

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#258 - Feature: Notetaking Platform Anxiety

#42 - Life, The Universe, and Everything

#22 - It's my party and I'll cry to get attention.