#190 - My 25th Year

Motto: It's My Party and I'll Cry to Make a Throwback Joke


Yesterday was my 26th birthday. I'm 26 years old. I've lived long enough to see 5 presidents go through the White House... 3 of which I actually remember. Since I was born, all of the Sodium-22 in the world has seen radioactive decay on half its atoms 10 times over. I'm nearly 1 Saturn-year old. I'm almost to my 10,000th day on this planet (December 18th of next year there will be a party). When I'm twice as old as I am now, it will be the year 2040. If all goes according to plan, I'll be making tons of money. I'll have kids. There's a good chance I'll even have grandkids. I met Melissa 4 years, 299 days ago. That has nothing to do with my age, but it's also true.

"Life goes by so fast" - that's what they say. 

But who know who the "they" is in that situation? I think it's people who let their lives "go by" that fast. Life shouldn't go by you at all. You should actively engage in it every day. One of the key things I took away from my brief stent between University and full-blown jobdom was the following self-advice monolog I wrote:

First you have to know, not fear, know that someday you're gunna die. Every day wasted and every night squandered you don't get back. Seize the day. Seize the moment. Seize opportunities - in whatever form they might come. Say “yes” more. When you say “no” to life you're not living. Everything is gained through experience and experience is gained by doing. So go do things. Go meet people. Do not tiptoe through life to arrive safely at death. Actively and intentionally seek out adventure. Have new experiences. Make new memories. You'll miss out on a lot of good times if you try to avoid a few bad ones. Bad times and awkward moments are part of a full life. They are unavoidable. They are also temporary; and they, too, shall pass. And when they do they will leave behind them a wiser and better person. You have to be lost for a while before you can know where you are.

So, please, don't reach my age and say "life goes by so fast"; because I'm not going to.

That's my little motivational speech. For those of you who came here for some videos, that's what's up next. There are two videos attached to this Column. The second Second-a-Day Video is below the first one.

For the past two years, as all of you probably already know, I've been filming a second of my life every day. Last year at this time I completed the following - My 24th Year:



Just yesterday, I finished my second straight year. It was a crazy year. I got married. I moved. I switched jobs. Melissa and I got some pets. We lost one of those pets. We got a sequel. We went on a honeymoon. We planned everything. Melissa started and completed her first year as a school teacher. My sisters both had babies. I found out about the boardgame Dominion. I worked out. I rode a rollercoaster for some reason. Why am I telling you when I can just show you?

Here's what I did last year:




Coming eventually - a 18 minute supercut of both of those stitched together (or you could just watch them back to back really fast).

Yes, I will be making "My 26th Year".

The picture to go out on: My wife is an excellent gift-giver.



The notes say "to begin your collection :-)" and "...and to complete your collection". They also say "nerd" and "I <3 nerds" off-screen. My wife is great. My life is great.

Top 5: Days from "My 25th Year"
5. Yesterday
4. May 9th
3. May 7th
2. May 6th
1. May 3rd


Quote:
“(If It Fits Your Macros) is my excuse to eat whatever I want. Even if it doesn't fit my macros.”
- Jon -

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#258 - Feature: Notetaking Platform Anxiety

#42 - Life, The Universe, and Everything

#22 - It's my party and I'll cry to get attention.