#350 - Griffin

As a Father: THE THERMOSTAT IS NOT TO BE TOUCHED  

On 8/8/18, Griffin was born. 
I was born on 8/1/88, which is his birthday backwards. I think that's pretty neat.

It feels weird to say "I became a dad", because it feels weird to be a dad. The whole thing feels weird. Weird and good. Griffin is the first baby I've spent more than 5 minutes around. The first baby that I've held while he cried. The first baby I've soothed. The first baby whose diaper I've changed. The only baby I've ever wanted to hold.

I always wanted a kid because I have some romantic feelings about life and love and purpose and our biological imperatives and existence and stuff... but it turns out that having a kid also comes with some other neat things. The prospect of getting to shape an entire person as he grows up is really exciting. I really look forward to each of his individual stages of development. I can't wait for it to have "all gone too fast", as they say. I want to see this little dude thru it all, teach him about what's right and wrong, tell him all the best jokes, and ways to do stuff. I want to see him learn math, and have to tell him "I don't know, just because that's the way it is" during his "why" phase. I look forward to the "pick up your toys" phase. I can't wait to stomp him in videogames, then slowly start to lose to him.

We named Griffin "Griffin" because we liked the name, because we wanted to have a name with double letters, because we liked the alliteration, because we liked that it wasn't a common first name and also not completely unheard of, because we liked that its easy to pronounce, and we liked the lose connection to Harry Potter. We did not name him Griffin in honor of the Griffin family from Family Guy (although I do enjoy that show). Griffin has already grown into his name and I couldn't possibly imagine him being named anything else.

Life is a matter of balance. Balance, addition, and subtraction. I added a LOT to life in the past 2 weeks, and naturally that means I'll have to subtract some other things. Hopefully I can have some hand in the picking and choosing about what parts of my old life I jettison to make room for the new. I'm sure it won't be exactly what I would have picked, but I'm also sure it won't be exactly what I wouldn't have. And I'm sure it will all have been worth it.

Perfectly balanced, as all things should be.   

Top 5: PICTURES OF MY KID
5. Melissa has no business being this beautiful 10 minutes postpartum

4. Custom Nail-and-String Art Courtesy of His Mom


3. Griffin-dor (not to pigeonhole him too early) - mid-yawn


2. CAPTAIN GRIFFIN


1. Melissa has no business being this beautiful 10 days postpartum



That felt a bit like this...



Quote:
"Aaron you’ve basically been living a dad life perfectly without a child."
- Joe -

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#258 - Feature: Notetaking Platform Anxiety

#76 - Fitness. Life Tracking System. Video.

#42 - Life, The Universe, and Everything